The Hunt For Lost Insurance Policies
For executors or family members of a deceased individual, tracking down a lost life insurance policy can be a difficult task. Here are some tips for the search:
- Check to see if you’re in one of the ten states that provide a search service.
- Carefully check all mail to the deceased for correspondence from the insurance company.
- Check financial documents, such as a checkbook, credit card statements, and tax returns for records of a life insurance payment.
- Check to see if the deceased had a policy though their employer.
- Check with the deceased’s financial advisor and insurance agents for other types of insurance policies.
- If estate executor, check with the deceased’s bank to check any safe deposit boxes.
From Wills, Trusts & Estates Law Blog – Editor: Gerry W. Beyer –Texas Tech Univ. School of Law – http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/trusts_estates_prof/
See Amy Danise, How to Find a Lost Life Insurance Policy, Nerd Wallet, March 31, 2015.