Choosing an attorney is one of the most important relationship decisions you will make in your lifetime. The legal counsel you pick will represent you in a variety of matters and, along the way, become privy to a great deal of your personal and professional information. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly or entered into quickly.
There is one qualifying factor, above all others, that you need to consider when choosing which lawyer should become YOUR lawyer: TRUST
Here are the 5 steps to take to help achieve that level of trust with a prospective personal or family attorney:
1) Get a referral from a trusted friend and/or adviser you work with in another field.
2) Conduct an initial telephone interview (not written communication). This helps to build a comfort level or exposes a lack thereof.
3) Take part in a 15-30 IN PERSON consultation with the attorney. Nothing is more important than sitting across a desk and speaking face-to-face in determining if there’s the potential for a good working relationship.
4) Understand that past performance does not guarantee present or future performance and results.
5) Appreciate that the decision to employ a specific law firm or attorney is your decision alone and is the foundation of an attorney/client relationship.
To contact any of the attorneys at the Proskin Law Firm – call (518) 436-0775.
The Proskin Law Firm: The Experience You Need – The Expertise You Deserve