Yes, it’s the year 2017. Yes, modern technology has taken over practically every aspect of our lives. And yes, laws passed in recent years have helped bring equality to people of all genders and ethnicities throughout the United States.
But did you know: In the state of Michigan, it’s still illegal for a wife to cut her hair without her husband’s permission? Or that, in Alabama, it’s illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church?
These are just a few of the crazy laws that still exist on the books in states around the country. Here are some more:
– North Carolina – Elephants cannot be used to plow cotton fields (sounds right to us)
– New York – Wearing slippers after 10pm is against the law (think we’ve all broken that law)
– Ohio – It’s illegal to get a fish drunk (that should be a law in every state)
– Texas – No one can legally sell their eyes (a bit creepy to think about)
– Georgia – You cannot carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket, on Sundays (legal to do every other day, but still not recommended)
Some of these ‘wacky’ laws make sense. For example, in Nevada it’s against the law to drive a camel on a highway. Who’s going to argue with that? And the fact that it’s illegal in Alaska to wake a sleeping bear to take a photo is a good thing for both the bear and the person who may be nudging him awake for a selfie.
But others? Well, it may be time we allow donkeys in Alabama to be able to sleep in bathtubs without fear of being arrested. And for Californians to be able to eat frogs that have died in frog-jumping competitions.
Then again, maybe we should keep that law on the books a little longer.
The Proskin Law Firm: The Experience You Need – The Expertise You Deserve